Friday, June 20, 2008

Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp

I posted earlier about my Mom's good cooking. One of our favorites as children was Strawberry- Rhubarb pie. We spent alot of time in NC growing up and we could always find rhubarb there. Mom would make giant pans full of the sweet & tart deliciousness. I was thrilled to find a gigantic rhubarb plant growing in my yard here! Of course I had to make a pie.... here's my version:

5 cups total of fruit (I used about 2 cups strawberries & 2 cups rhubarb then added an apple too because it wasn't quite enough) half or slice strawberries. string rhubarb (just like you would celery) and cut in a approx 1/2 inch slices
3/4 to 1 cup sugar
3 T cornstarch
squeeze of fresh lemon juice
1/2 t cinnamon
fresh grated nutmeg

mix all of these together and let sit for an hour or more. this helps get the juice out of the berries

top with:
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup rolled oats
4 to 5 T unsalted butter (cut into bits)
pinch sea salt

cut the butter into the flour & sugar mixture and mix until combined- it will be lumpy. sometime i work it with my hands until it's well incorporated. add the oats and salt and work some more until well mixed.

pour on top of fruit and bake at 350 until bubbly and crust is brown (about 30 to 45 minutes)

***for any dothanians reading this, i have actually found rhubarb at So Fam Mkts. it looks like red celery****

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

All these recipes and pictures of food are making me hungry! I have been doing some cooking, but I am not ready to photograph or share recipes yet. HA