Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Plate full of yum.

Dinner last night was delicious and so easy! I love stacked meals...I'm sure there's some fancy shmansy French term for a layered plate but I don't know it so I just call it stacked....Here are my stacks in case you might like to try it...feel free to substitute- use what you have!

Bottom stack: Quinoa with Shiitake mushrooms:
I sauteed the mushrooms in a little olive oil until they were starting to soften and release their liquid. I then added a cup of quinoa (rinse first) and stirred it around to coat. Then added 2 cups of water (I didn't have any stock- that would have been better) and cooked until it was done (just about 15 minutes or less) Add sea salt and pepper to taste

Next stack: Oven roasted tomatos:
I sliced 1 tomato in 4 fat slices. Put those in a single layer on a pan or in a pyrex. Sprinkled with sea salt & pepper, minced fresh garlic (I used 1 clove for all 4), sprinkled with dried thyme (fresh would be better but I didn't have any) and a piece of a bay leaf on top. I drizzled with olive oil and let that sit for about an hour. I then cooked them in the oven on 350 for about 10 minutes- just until they are nice & soft...you could probably cook them less than 10. Remove the bay leaf before serving.

Next stack: Pan seared Cod:
I seasoned the fish with sea salt and pepper on both sides and let sit for about 30 minutes. I heated some olive oil over med high heat in a large pan and seared the fish on both sides- just until starting to brown. I then baked it in the oven at 350 until nice & flaky- probably about 15 minutes (it all depends on the size fish). Don't overcook it. Remember that the fish will continue to cook even when you take it out the oven.

Top stack: Wilted Spinach & Arugula with Balsamic Venison Sausage Dressing
For the dressing I sauteed some venison sausage in a pan just until done. Don't drain the fat. I added a couple of tablespoons of balsamic vinegar and about 3 tablespoons of olive oil. While the dressing was still hot I poured it over the salad greens and stirred until they were nice and coated (they will wilt...this is the point of putting the dressing in hot).

This is a delicious easy meal and it looks so pretty on the plate. It's yummy to get a bite with the flavor from each stack.....mmm mmmm good!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let me just say that Bob Borland would say, "Where are the mashed potatoes? And this looks like what I had the ONE time I ate at Criola's, except they put pansies on the plate." I.....however, think it looks pretty darn good. I might just give it a try.

Leisha

Anonymous said...

I'm totally going to try this!