Monday, June 9, 2008

Save the planet- eat organic!

I really don't want to use this blog as my soap box but I just can't help myself today. The kids and I ran by Moe's for lunch today...yes, we're eating junk food- we know those days are numbered! There was a hand-written sign on the door that said, "No more fresh tomato products until further notice." Hmmmm....this can't be good. While we were checking out I asked the woman running the register what happened to the tomatos. She told me there was a problem with " the dye" they were using in the tomatos...with a sort of bewildered look on her face. The owner came screeching around the corner to correct her that No No No...it isn't the dye...it's just that there's been an outbreak of salmonella found in tomatos in 22 states so until further notice the government has recommended that everyone stop serving fresh tomatos.....Thank Goodness- it's just salmonella and they're not really dying our tomatos. I feel so safe knowing that the USDA has caught the problem- only 160 people were sickened because of it. Go USA.

I've had a lot of mixed emotions going on inside of me for the last few weeks. Why am I really doing this? Is it the right thing for my family? Is it really just nuts after all? Is our industrialized food system really that bad? How important is the local food movement? The funky tomato scenario is all the confirmation I needed. Maybe it was me coming down from the double shot of espresso I had at Starbuck's this morning (seemed like a good idea at the time) or maybe I'm just really tired from all the chaos trying to get out of town but, honestly, I really could have stood there and sobbed at the cash register if I had let myself...raising my hands to the sky- THIS is why I am moving to a farm!!!

People all over the world... join hands...start a love train! Love your body, love your mind, love the Earth... say "NO THANKS" to funky food. Save the planet....eat local & organic.

So, I promise not to use my blog as a platform....except when I just can't help myself :)

1 comment:

Larissa said...

I think you should totally use it as your soapbox!