Friday, September 26, 2008

Rainy Reflection


It's a rainy New England day here. Signs of fall are everywhere! The leaves are changing into bright shades of yellow, orange, red & purple, the weather is cooler and pumpkins abound. As I sit at my desk and watch the leaves fall & rain pour, it's a perfect time to reflect on the last year and update everyone on what's happening here.




It was about this time last year that I started thinking seriously about farm school. For the six months prior I had been fantasizing about the possibility but after selling my biz then turning 40 shortly there-after, I realized there was a "now or never" choice that lay before me. As obstacles slowly fell away and I gradually surrendered my control of the situation, it became apparent to me that the Universe meant for us to make this journey. I, myself, could have never orchestrated the amazing events that led to this moment- it was only through blind faith, unbridled trust and Divine Intervention that we were able to move 1300 miles away from home to embark on this crazy idea that I couldn't seem to rid myself of.




And so here we are...one year later....living a life that looks very different from where we were. We've been here about 3 months....give or take. We are settled in our little farmhouse and adjusting to a much slower pace of life. The kids are thriving in their new schools and each day excitedly report what they learned that day. We are preparing for our first real winter....learning about snow boots, cross-country skis, insulating pipes and oil burning furnaces (a mythical machine in my life up until now.) We've been up-close and personal with lots of wildlife in our yard: coyotes, deer, wild turkeys, garden snakes and a groundhog that has taken up residence under our barn. We have eaten veggies from our garden and local farms all summer long.




Admitedly, while having a wonderful time here, we are all a bit homesick. I miss the beach, the lake, ABC coffee & having a tan. The kids miss their friends terribly and are keeping in touch through letters, email & many many Verizon minutes. We all miss Stokes and are looking forward to his October visit. Pierre & Lulu, our crazy poodles, are at the top of the "wish you were here" list- especially Annie's.




As the seasons begin to change so will our experience here. My school starts next Wednesday, October 1, which will no doubt spin our casual attitudes in a different direction. I have no idea how my schedule will work out to deposit each one of us to our designated location at the correct time....I just know that it will work out....for some reason the how doesn't seem that important to me- a positive indication of my recovery from control addiction.




Life is different, slower, happier, healthier, richer, funnier, dirtier, quieter and more fulfilled than one year ago. It's been a nice 40th year, if I do say so myself. I'm eagerly looking forward to the 41st!








No comments: